Based on your description, it appears to be GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease).
If there is feeling of suffocation or dysphagia or recurrent gastritis episodes then an upper GI endoscopy can be considered. If there is a hiatal hernia which is large then it should be reduced.
PPIs like pantoprazole and pro kinetics such as domeperidone can be advised for GERD. In addition to medication the following lifestyle changes would also help.
- Soft, Bland diet should be taken.
- Smoking and alcohol should be avoided.
- Small and frequent meals should be preferred to large and few ones.
- 20 minutes of brisk walk should follow each meal that is heavier than normal.
- Head end of the bed should be elevated.
- Chocolate and coffee intake should be avoided as they area associated triggers for GERD.
- Last meal of the day should be at least 3 hours before going to sleep.
Kindly rate this answer and please ask other medical questions or concerns you may have.
Refer www.askmdx.com to your friends and family.
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AskMDx